Sunday, May 30, 2021

May

Today is Memorial Day, so I hope everyone has a good day remembering loved ones and honoring those who served our country. We have much to be grateful for. 

May was a pretty busy month for me. I turned 81 on May 15th, and celebrated by doing quite a lot of painting! 

Melissa has been on a roll recently with ways to be less wasteful and more eco-minded, with a focus on "re-use, recycle and repurpose," so I figured I would get in on the act. After working on small pieces - 8" by 8", 10" by 10" and 12" by 12" canvas panels - I suddenly felt the need to paint BIG, so I pulled out a box of large paintings that I did a long time ago, and started re-purposing them into completely new scenes. 

This is the first one I did - I painted over a southwest landscape scene and now we have ocean!





This one is called Summer Day, and it's 22.5" by 30.25" on heavy watercolor paper, which holds up well to water-based paints like acrylic, with no buckling.

Then I repurposed this one - it was another southwest landscape and still is - I just re-did the foreground and sky to create a completely different effect. Next time I'll remember to take a "before" picture so you can see the change.



This is called Reflections of the Arizona Badlands, also 22.5" by 30.25" on heavy watercolor paper.

I'm still very happy with the new SOHO paints I've been trying - the depth of color is terrific, the tubes are big and they are a great value.

Here are some smaller works I did earlier in the month:



High Country Sunset
8" by 16" on heavy watercolor paper




Along the Mangrove
8" by 16" on heavy watercolor paper




Oh Happy Daze 
12" by 12" on linen canvas panel


Foothills, Carefree, Arizona
10" by 10" on linen canvas panel





Sunset Waves
8" by 8" on linen canvas panel



Across the Plains
12" by 12" on linen canvas panel



Across to the Canyon Walls
12" by 12" on linen canvas panel




Nightfall Descends
12" by 12" on linen canvas panel


As always, thank you for stopping by to read my blog and check out my work. You can also click on the "pages" along the top, which have my various collections - Southwest Landscapes, Seascapes, etc.

Take good care, everyone, and continue to stay safe. 

JR