Friday, October 27, 2017

Plein Air Journey

A few weeks ago my wife and I returned from a 2 month plein air journey to Arizona & Utah.  We stayed in the Sedona AZ area for a month and then set out on a 10 day journey into Northern AZ & Utah.  Spots we stopped at were:  Monument Valley, Zion, Moab and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  We then returned to Sedona AZ for 3 more weeks.

Following are some of the paintings generated plein air - 9 x 12 as well as paintings generated upon returning to our home base of Florida.

Most of my paintings are done to music and mostly to the music of Meadowlark.   Rick Cyge & Lynn Trombetta who became friends of ours when we resided in Arizona for 7 years. The CD album Legend of The Land is my all time favorite painting CD.  When we were in Sedona we hooked up again with Rick & Lynn as they now reside in Sedona.  It was a wonderful reunion of  a long standing friendship and I was happy to receive two of Rick's newest CD.  Guitartistry I and II.  These two albums highlight the fingerstyle guitar music of Rick Cyge.  These albums are for the most part fresh arrangements of Baby Boomer Classics.  Both Rick & Lynn are very talented musicians with Rick doing some great arranging and composing - his wife Lynn Trombetta is a very talented flutist.

Following are some of the sixty plus 9 x 12 plein air work I did during the journey and the larger ones are studio paintings I did upon returning to Florida.  I paint with palette knife and large brushes 1 1/2  inches & 2 1/2 inches in both Impressionist & Expressionist painterly loose styles.

The studio paintings range in sizes 18 x 24, 12 x 36 and 22 x 30.  I paint on heavy linen paper and 300lb watercolor paper, using professional Chroma Interactive acrylic paint.

I Hope you enjoy this posting of some of my most recent works.

JR Secor







Following are larger pieces done in my studio upon returning from the plein air journey: